[TYPO3-core] RFC #0011317: Backport treelist caching from TYPO3 4.3 to TYPO3 4.2.6

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Mon Jun 22 12:43:10 CEST 2009

Hi guys,

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Every commit to Trunk is a potential improvement that may be useful in
> the current stable version already. There is no difference here.
>
> Just to make this clear I repeat what I already answered in the other
> thread: I'm not holding it back because of forcing people to use 4.3.
> Instead, I need to assure that the quality is kept.
>
> I think the real problem is that 4.3 is delayed which is probably the
> reason why people want to make use of some of the improvements right
> now. However, instead of discussing doing so we should rather help to
> get 4.3 out as soon as possible!

I agree with that.

OK, just some more points:
 - bug fixes are generally the only thing that are allowed to be
   committed into stable branches
 - exceptions to this rule need to be discussed beforehand
 - the release manager of the stable branch has the final word (but of
   course needs to take the discussion into account)

Given the fact that the initial commit was done without discussing this
first (@Rupi, I presume this was no intention and you just weren't aware
of the rule, so that's no problem with that), I think it was perfectly
OK for Ingo to first revert this patch.

Now, sure we can discuss if this should go in there or not, but we
really have to ask ourselves if it is worth it to introduce those
features in the stable branch. Regarding the tree list cache, I tend to
be against committing that to 4.2 because I think we had some problems
earlier with similar kinds of caches, which produced unexpected results
in some scenarios...

cheers
Ingmar