[TYPO3-core] RFC #6853: item state CUR for pages of type "shortcut" missing in menus

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed Jun 3 13:29:11 CEST 2009

Hey Joey,
> page1
> page2
> page3
> |_ page 4
> |_ page 5
>
> Well - I think we both agree that CURrent is a state showing the user a kind
> of "You are here".
> "here" means: The _page_ that the user is viewing and not the _link_
> pointing to that page.

yes - CURrent is indicating 'you are here'.

> So if the link is a shortcut that has been created by setting up "page 3" to
> point to "page 4" instead, the user will be "here" at "page 4", thus making
> "page 4" the CURrent page while "page 3" is the ACTive page, since it is the
> parent page of page 4 (regardless of it's type).
> Even within a breadcrumb menu a user will always see a certain branch of the
> tree, showing him "you are here", while the behaviour you are expecting is
> something like a "clickpath", which is not covered by the default TYPO3
> menus yet.

I don't want a clickpath, all I want is that each menu item is
indicating that it's linking to the CURrently displayed page - no matter
which page type it has (explanation below).

> Got the point?

yes, I get your point from a technical view - but I think the technical
view is the wrong one here. You have to think from the view of a
visitor. When browsing your website no visitor is knowing your pagetree
nor does he know which page is a shortcut or not - he actually doesn't
care. The only thing he sees is, that when he's clicking on a menu item
that he is redirected to another page and that this menu item is
highlighted now (CURrent). But whoops, what is this - now he clicked on
another page in that menu and this menu item is strangely not
highlighted because it's technically a shortcut. Did he do something
wrong or clicked accidentally somewhere else he might ask?
So the visitor doesn't care if the menu items a regular pages or
shortcuts - it's in both cases just a menu item he's clicking on - but
one of them is currently reacting quite strange for him (or not reacting
at all).

Another example:
root
|- page 1
|- page 2
|- page 3
|- sysfolder
   |- shortcut 1
   |- shortcut 2
   |- shortcut 3

Take this pagetree and assume that you have a TMENU of type "directory"
with the sysfolder as "mountpoint". This TMENU is f.e. displayed at the
very top of your website and contains often clicked/used pages (this is
a often used scenario). Having this menu and clicking on one of it's
items, none will ever be CURrent, which is quite misleading if you ask me.
If I'm on a certain page, and a menu item is pointing to exactly this
page (regardless of it's pagetype - the type doesn't care at all) - why
is in this case the menu item not indicating that it's a link to the
CURrent page?

Or asked the other way around - how does it harm you if shortcut pages
would indicate CURrent item state? If you don't like/need it, just don't
configure it, but if you care about usability (like me) then you can use it.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch