[TYPO3-core] RFC #6872: Add suggest-like feature to TCEforms

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Fri Jul 10 10:16:12 CEST 2009

Hi.

On 09.07.2009 22:47 Andreas Wolf wrote:
> Yes, sure, perhaps I can already address some of these issues.

First of all, thanks very much for this great feature. It looks very
promising.

So far my concerns:

1) The ordering and limiting of items in the result list does not follow
_one_ strict rule. The final result list is in alphabetical order (the
sorting happens in t3lib_TCEforms_Suggest->processAjaxRequest). But this
ordering applies to a prelimited set of items, which themselves are
ordered by uid (sorting happens in
t3lib_TCEforms_Suggest_DefaultReceiver->queryTable).
Example: Imagine a result of 26 records:
uid=1, title=keyword Z
uid=2, title=keyword Y
uid=26, title=keyword A

Searching for 'keyword', the result list is: p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z
But I'd expect: a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j

This can be confusing, since the alphabetical order suggests coherence.

2) I'd like to have an option to change maxItems. I have appended a
patch to add an option called maxItemsInResultList. The patch contains
only my changes.

3) No concern, but a bonus question :)
Right now your feature delivers a pure search and select field. Adding
new elements through this field by simply type and enter would be an
awesome improvement. Of course this would only work under very limited
circumstances (one single allowed field + one single source page with
items). To get an idea what I mean, have a look at the tagpack extension.
Of course this feature is far from being an improvement of this RFC and
should be handled separately. But maybe we can prepare this patch to
make it more easy to hook into the process to add this features later.
I'm sorry for being so unprecise, but as already said it's a preliminary
comment.

Going to continue my tests now...

--
cheers,