[TYPO3-core] RFC Bug #11251: Use InnoDB for user/group tables

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Jul 1 00:28:45 CEST 2009

Hi Ernesto,

>>> Do we have some information how to use InnoDB tables properly for our
>>> users?
>>
>> I think we don't need that. It should be used whenever it makes sense,
>> and be avoided whenever it does not. Tables that change very often
>> should therefore not use InnoDB but stick with MyISAM.
>
> I fail to see the reason to use InnoDB if this were true. We changed
> caching and session tables to InnoDB exactly because of their dynamic
> nature: updating one record doesn't lock the whole table like on MyISAM.

I'm not completely sure about this, but to me there is a difference
between cache_pages (where a record is cached and then kept => INSERT)
and be_sessions (where the timestamp for example is updated at every
click => UPDATE).

However, you may be right since for some reason, fe_sessions is always
set to InnoDB since ages.

> In my eyes only the admin can decide whatever makes sense for his
> environment. So instead of we shipping a mix of InnoDB and MyISAM
> tables, I would prefer to have a global switch (in the installer) to
> choose the desired engine and stick to that for all tables. The DB-admin
> has to make sure that he has configured his innoDB engine correctly and
> that he is able to work with it (i.e. configured it correctly, knows
> about "extends", about the lost space, etc).

They can still decide that.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out