[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #10105: Cannot Load Multiple RTEs via AJAX

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Jan 12 20:27:40 CET 2009

Hey guys,

This is a SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix

Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=10105

Branches: Trunk

Problem:
In the new frontend editing concept for 4.3, we're loading the RTE via
AJAX and displaying it in a lightbox.
On the first load of the RTE, HTMLArea._editorEvent is created as a
generic event handler. When the RTE is closed, the HTMLArea.cleanup()
method is called to free many variables, including HTMLArea._editorEvent
which is set to null. This causes problems with the second RTE load when
HTMLArea has already been initialized but _editorEvent is now null
rather than a true method.

Solution:
The solution is to remove the null assignment in HTMLArea.cleanup(). At
the same time, the null assignment for HTMLArea.onload can be removed
also since it could cause similar issues.

I've already discussed this with Stan via email and he thinks removing
the null assignment is safe.

Thanks,
Jeff