[TYPO3-core] RFC: Feature #10097: Use native SoapClient implementation of PHP5 only

Oliver Hader oliver at typo3.org
Mon Jan 12 11:24:40 CET 2009

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> Then we have to agree to disagree. I'm not willing to keep all internal
>> implementation details because an extension MIGHT use it although it was
>> never meant as a public API.
>
> This change can break things. Therefore it can be vetoed. I am ready to veto it if necessary (we agreed that this kind of changes can be vetoed).

Which things? The em_soap was written to communicate with the TER for
uploading extension releases...

>> IMHO no extension has a right to XCLASS something. It's a nifty feature,
>> that can fail with any release change. Only the proper API should be
>> guaranteed to work.
>
> Every extension can XCLASS something. This is what XCLASSes are for :) There are some custom EM changes that can be broken by the removal of the library.
>
> What problem do you see in keeping it for two more versions? We do it with functions. We just need to add this library to a list of thing to remove in 4.5. There are larger and more useless things to remove in the core. Take a look to ADODB package: it has tests and docs and we release this multikilobyte junk with every TYPO3 version. Why not remove that instead? It will be much more useful than suddenly removing a library someone can depend on.

Cleaning up unnecessary parts of ADODB would also be a good and valid task.

> What is the purpose of this rush? We agreed not to remove anything suddenly.

I don't see this as a rush. It's a clean-up of code that is not
required, since
* TYPO3 requires PHP 5.2 that ships with a native SOAP implementation
* the NuSOAP libarary and em_soap class were intended for being used in
the extension manager only to upload extensions to TER

It would be a difference if we had NuSOAP in /typo3/contrib/ to be used
officially by extension authors. But since this is not the case, I see
no conflicts in cleaning up the core and use the native SOAP
implementation only. Furthermore most extensions get uploaded from a
development server and the extension manager is only available for admins.

olly
--
Oliver Hader
TYPO3 4.3 Release Manager