[TYPO3-core] RFC #9745: Add INSTALL.txt to TYPO3 source package

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Feb 13 12:55:12 CET 2009

Hi!

Christopher Stelmaszyk wrote:
> I know it is sometimes hard to judge oneself's performance, but I think my
> English really is not that bad. ;-)

I know that my English is not very good ;) In particular, I am bad with prepositions, word order and articles :) What would you expect from a self-learner, who had an additional short English course at one working place? :)

> For me it would be interesting to know why you left out those changes. What
> do you think is not correct of what a proposed there?

"that/which". My teacher said that "that" is used when two part of the sentences cannot live one without another ("The person that left the case...."). "which" is used when two parts can be separated and the "which" can be removed ("The bag stayed on the platform, which was painted black and white"). And "which" is always preceded by the comma.

Punctuation. We were recommended to leave commas out before "because" and similar words. Comma always appears before "which", "and" when counting, and in case of two joined sentences. <!-- In my native grammar "and" is never preceded by comma, so I often forget that English rules are different -->

> You really are the expert in writing the actual content, meaning WHAT to
> say.
> Like
> - Which MySQL-version is preferred?
> - Which modules in apache are needed? and so on.
>
> But with the phrasing, meaning HOW to say it, maybe you let some others have
> a look.

Sure! Jeff is our unofficial "core" proofreader :)

But I added most of your changes too! Did you see the latest version I posted last night?

> Would you have written the same, if those proposals came from Jeff? ;-)

I would not touch anything that Jeff changes. I know Jeff ;) May be I will know you some day too :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team