[TYPO3-core] RFC #10371: Feature: Render tabs as ul-li-list in getDynTabMenu()

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Feb 11 15:34:26 CET 2009

Hi!

Niels Pardon wrote:
> My motivation for changing this is that it seems a bit weird if tabs are
> wrapped although there is a lot of space to place them.

Ok, this happens with mediumDoc. With bigDoc the problem does not exist I believe.

> Before TYPO3 4.2 this was no real problem as the form width had nearly
> the same fixed width as the tabs wrapping had.
>
> Since TYPO3 4.2 the form has a dynamic width filling the whole screen
> but the tabs are still wrapped like if there was a fixed width.
>
> I encounter this problem in seminars where we have a lot of tabs using
> the dividers2tabs feature for our records.
>
> I don't care how this is fixed but I want this to be fixed as it bothers
> me (and as far as I can tell there are some others who are bothered by
> this, too). If there is a better solution to this than floats then this
> will be fine with me.

There was a parameter to set in a call to getDynTabMenu(). I do it in new CE wizard for TV. Tabs were also wrapped there, now they are not.

> I don't consider myself an Usability/HCI guru but in my opinion as a
> TYPO3 user this is a usability issue which should be fixed.

I agree! The question is how we do it with a minimal impact on other extensions. The wrapping feature exists there as functionality. Removing existing functionality is not an option. We honor compatibility. The wrapping must stay as the functionality but we may change other files not to wrap if space allows it.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team