[TYPO3-core] RFC: #10338: Feature: NewRecordWizard with grouping and sorting

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Feb 5 21:39:43 CET 2009

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is an update as the patch doesn't apply after latest commits.
>
> I changed the pageTS naming according to the new content element wizard
> (mod.wizards.newContentElement)

> mod.wizards.newRecord
>
> here's the documentation:
>
> mod.wizards.newRecord.order   string  Priority order string for groups.
> System records are called TYPO3, others are used by extension title
>
> Example:
>
> mod.wizards.newRecord.order = TYPO3,News,Commenting system
>
> vg Steffen

Hey Steffen,

Thanks for the patch.  Having any kind of sort order and grouping is a
huge improvement.  In general, I'm in favor of this patch after testing
but I do have a few comments.  We've already discussed this on Skype so
I'm just bringing it here for other feedback.

* I'd be in favor of changing the "TYPO3" label to "System" or "System
Records". It seems like that might have a little more meaning to the
average backend user.

* Since "TYPO3" / "System Records" are a little different than the ones
from extensions, I'd suggest pinning them to the top via default Page
TSConfig.  It can always be changed on a per page basis but this seems
like a sensible default to me.

* My biggest concern with this patch is localization. Currently, the
groupings for records are pulled from the extension title as defined in
EM_CONF.  This means the title is not localized at all and will always
appear in English, regardless of the backend language.  As an English
speaker this doesn't bother me, but I suspect other people may not like
it as much :) There's not a better way to pull this title right now so
we need a new standard, but I'm wondering if we should get this standard
defined sooner rather than later.

I think that's it for now....thanks for your work on this UI polish.  It
really makes TYPO3 better!

jeff