[TYPO3-core] RFC: #12652: Value Preview of empty timestamp shows "01-01-70 (-40 yrs) "

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Mon Dec 7 13:08:33 CET 2009

Hi,

in general i must say that timestamps are much more easy to handle in
code. You can calculate with timestamps very easy and you can format
these values to any format you need. Date values are better readable as
plain in DB view, but much more complicate to format or calculate, you
always have to convert them to timestamp again.

So i don't would change this in database.

The only problem we have is the proper handling of "no date" as 0 is the
01-01.1970. So NULL would be an option for empty value as it's used for
other types as well.

David Bruchmann schrieb:
>> There will be a problem begins if you pass this value to JavaScript's
>> Date class. It does not accept negative time stamps. But this is a
>> rare case.
>
> I don't know much of the JS inside TYPO3, here Steffen perhaps is the
> professional to consult.

here we have a very good option now, as ExtJS adds a function to date:
date.format
It works exactly like the php function, it also handles negative values.

vg Steffen