[TYPO3-core] RFC: #10853: [Feature] New Multimedia CE

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Apr 21 12:10:44 CEST 2009

Hi,
> here is an updated patch as v12 doesn't applied cause the CSC-followup
> from Francois.
> I also added the "flv"-format which was missing.

I appreciate your work on this Steffen, but as mentioned in my other
posting in this thread, I think some changes might be needed to be more
futureproof.

As I mentioned in my other posting I don't think that using flexforms to
configure the multimedia CE is good here, as long as admins are not able
to strip down the available fields for editors. But I'm not up2date if
flexform fields can be hidden just like TCA fields defined as
"enableFields".

In my eyes regular editors should not have to struggle with adding
parameters etc. - those should get predefined by media-type/media-player
- and only experienced editors should struggle with parameters.

I was thinking of some customizable and extendable presets, so that the
editor is inserting the file/url and choosing from a preset which way he
want's the media to get rendered. And by preset I don't mean the
selection between flash and quicktime player, but more something like:
- Video with no control options
- Video with control options and fullscreen
- Audio with equalizer
- Audio with coverimage
- Audio with playlist (would require to be able to add multiple media
records)
- etc.

Another possibility might be the use of IRRE and allow multiple media
elements get added. The IRRE records could have a "type" field to select
  the type of media (video, audio, external video, external audio) and
provide relevant configuration fields for those (for example alternate
content, descriptions, captions, etc). In the "general" configuration of
the multimedia CE you would define the layout (width, height, maybe
colorscheme, playerpreset as described above and alike). Doing this
would add a lot more flexibility.

I'd like to help on this, but unfortunately I'm quite busy atm due to
two jobs in parallel that at least last for two more weeks :(

Just my 2 cent.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch