[TYPO3-core] RFC #6525: Feature: wrapItemAndSub for GMENU

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Sun Sep 28 13:11:14 CEST 2008

Helmut Hummel wrote: on 27.09.2008 17:12:

>> Solution:
>> Add support for .wrapItemAndSub in GMENU. The function is the exact copy
>> of the same function found in TMENU.
>>
>> Notes:
>> In the era of accessibility the GMENU has gone unpopular in favor to
>> CSS-styled TMENUs. But the usage of stuff like GTMENU (see
>> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/GTMENU) makes a combination that might
>> make sense: You markup a menu with nested UL, LI and page titles, and
>> let TYPO3 render the GMENUs that will replace those titles with nice
>> graphics.
>
> Generally adding wrapItemAndSub for GMENU is OK for me, but after that,
> GMENUs still are not as accessible as GTMENU implementaion is and still
> relys on JavaScript, which is not necessary with GTMENU.

Hm, don't understand your argument, GTMENU doesn't rely on javascript,
it is a CSS based "trick" to replace the title text with graphics.
GMENUs are used to do this, because TYPO3 already generates it. GTMENU
is an IProcFunc which places the images in CSS and replaces them inline
with the text of the titles.

> So what about changing the whole GMENU stuff to generate HTML-code, that
> is accessible and generates the whole needed CSS for the UL and LI, that
> makes it fully functional _without_ the need of changing the TS code.

We will still at least need the "wrapItemAndSub" configuration. So lets
first add that.

> By making it dependend of a compat_version, users of a new 4.3
> installation benefit from the whole power of the new G(T)MENU, whereas
> it will not break anything during an update process.
>
> What do you think?
>
> And btw. I'm willing to contribute to this task ...

Well, this is all fine, but another topic, which might be, as Masi
suggested, discussed in the -devel or even in the "content rendering"
group mailing list.

Cheers,
Ernesto