[TYPO3-core] RFC #6525: Feature: wrapItemAndSub for GMENU

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Sat Sep 27 18:59:43 CEST 2008

Helmut Hummel schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
>>
>> Solution:
>> Add support for .wrapItemAndSub in GMENU. The function is the exact copy
>> of the same function found in TMENU.
>>
>> Notes:
>> In the era of accessibility the GMENU has gone unpopular in favor to
>> CSS-styled TMENUs. But the usage of stuff like GTMENU (see
>> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/GTMENU) makes a combination that might
>> make sense: You markup a menu with nested UL, LI and page titles, and
>> let TYPO3 render the GMENUs that will replace those titles with nice
>> graphics.
>
> Generally adding wrapItemAndSub for GMENU is OK for me, but after that,
> GMENUs still are not as accessible as GTMENU implementaion is and still
> relys on JavaScript, which is not necessary with GTMENU.
>
> So what about changing the whole GMENU stuff to generate HTML-code, that
> is accessible and generates the whole needed CSS for the UL and LI, that
> makes it fully functional _without_ the need of changing the TS code.
>
> By making it dependend of a compat_version, users of a new 4.3
> installation benefit from the whole power of the new G(T)MENU, whereas
> it will not break anything during an update process.
>
> What do you think?

That this wasn't the topic of this thread ;-) Otherwise I think it's not
worth changing a whole lot if stuff according to compat versions. It'll
be only confusing. But I welcome a patch for a new cObject GTMENU.
Though I suggest you discuss it's features and configuration first on
the dev list. The GTMENU has a feature set, but maybe a brain storming
releals some extra twist that might e nice to have.

Masi