[TYPO3-core] RFC #9615: Move frontend editing to a system extension

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Oct 22 05:25:48 CEST 2008

This is a SVN patch request.

Type: Feature
Bugtracker Reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9615
Branch: trunk

Problem:
As a first step toward improved frontend editing in TYPO3 4.3, we should
refactor the existing frontend editing into a separate controller and
view with the view living in a new system extension.

At a later date, we'll add a new extension with the necessary view code
for the improved frontend editing.

Solution:
The only parts that should actually move to this system extension are
the "view" code from t3lib_tsfebeuserauth and tslib_cObject code for
drawing edit panels and edit icons. The remaining "controller" code from
t3lib_tsfebeuserauth can be refactored into a standalone controller for
frontend editing that remains in the core.

Notes:
There's currently a bug with the CSS and the RTE when edit forms appear
on a page. The bug occurs before and after this patch so its not
directly related but does make testing more difficult.  You can find the
bug report and my attempt at a patch at [1].  I'll leave it to Stan to
determine the best solution though.

The actual frontend editing functionality should not change at all in
this patch.  We've moved large parts around, but the configuration and
behavior for the end user should be identical so that's the main thing
to look for in testing.

I'll try to follow up here late tonight or tomorrow morning with
additional patch files that make the changes more readable. What we have
now should work for testing, but is a huge pain to review.

Most of you have probably already seen it at T3CON or the Transition
Days, but for those who haven't, maybe a look at what we have planned
[2] will give you some encouragement to test :)

Thanks guys!
Jeff

[1] http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9613
[2] http://jeffsegars.com/2008/10/19/frontend-editing-for-typo3-43/