[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9758: Write Configuration to extTables.php

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Nov 10 10:32:26 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Install tool does not show some things but only because it cannot
> parse them properly. Otherwise "Configuration" is different looking
> read–only version of "All configuration" in Install tool.

Good point: I think this configuration module explicitely hides some
values like installToolPassword, etc. But I did not check this now. Have
a look...

Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> If an user has admin rights ha has the chance for "destroy" anyway, so
>> this should be only trusted users. I made the patch because there are
>> some settings in TCA that needs change like maxItems or max, which can
>> be done now very easily.

This is true as well. If you have admin access, you can always reset the
installToolPassword by installing some extension that provides you with
a shell, etc.

The only way to prevent this currently is to make localconf.php read-only.

I agree this is bad design - however let's keep this situation for now
and not make it even easier to write to localconf.php...

> But you created a workaround against Install tool password now.
> There is no need for Install tool password anymore: any setting can
> be freely changed with Configuration module if your patch is applied.

True. Suggestion: Only provide "save" option for changing $TCA. Would
that make sense?

> I am not in the forum, I am only in mailing lists. People ask many
> things but you should not do blindly what they ask. There are
> reasons to do things and not to do things. If Apple did everything
> what people say, Apple would never have such great products! There
> are always reasons and there are always people who will want things
> to be different. It is impossible to satisfy everyone.

ACK.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out