[TYPO3-core] RFC #9615: Move frontend editing to a system extension

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Nov 6 22:00:09 CET 2008

Jeff Segars wrote:
>> Hey Olly,
>>
>> Oliver Hader wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,

>>> I changed some issues in your v5 patch:
>>> * In typo3/sysext/fe_edit/view/class.tx_feedit_adminpanel.php on line
>>> 553 there's a ".." what produces a syntax error
>>
>> Weird, I don't have that locally now and I don't remember changing
>> anything, but its certainly there in the patch file.  Anyway, thanks
>> for catching this one!
>>
>>> * there are some tabs on blank lines that can be removed (regexp search
>>> "^\t+$")
>>> * In typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/index_ts.php you can remove the $GLOBALS of
>>> 'BE_USER'
>>> * Some obvious formatting things
>>>
>>> +1 on testing and reading (Phew!)
>>
>> Thanks! I know this was a painful one :)
>>
>> We're working on an extension icon for this and our new frontend
>> editing, but they're not quite ready yet and the designer is busy
>> right now. I'll go ahead and add the default question mark icon for
>> the time being, give it a last round of testing and then commit.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>> Jeff
>
> Committed to trunk in rev 4427.  Also added a note in NEWS.txt.

Just committed a small followup after talking with Ingo.  Rather than
using our own custom exception, we're using the SPL
UnexpectedValueException instead since that already matches the error case.

He also suggested a slight rename of the extension key (fe_edit) and
main core class (t3lib_frontendedit) into frontendediting and
t3lib_frontendediting. On the one hand, its more descriptive but it also
seems more difficult to read (in my opinion at least).

Minor details, but I don't mind making the changes if the consensus is
that it would be a good change.

Thanks,
jeff