[TYPO3-core] RFC #8495: Buttons look like input-field

ben van 't ende [netcreators] ben at netcreators.com
Wed May 28 23:38:42 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Benjamin Mack wrote:
>> we discussed this in HCI already. As you might notice the trend in the
>> browsers go to use the native buttons and not the styled ones to give
>> the user the feeling that he knows what a button is. The user feels
>> comfortable with the native buttons, I think.
>
> Good that you discussed in HCI but this is not the final point I afraid.
>
> Different people have different views. Personally I feel that FireFox
> default style for buttons looks ugly with t3skin.

Right on! Fortunately Firefox3 looks absolutely great. We decided that users of
Firefox are most likely to upgrade soon and that the ugly buttons are most
likely not an issue at the time we will release TYPO3 4.3. Makes sense?

>> I think the "Let's use native or our own style (which is kinda tricky,
>> see Steffen's link)" discussion should be in the HCI list. Masi /
>> Uschi -- please start a discussion in the HCI list about that (maybe
>> with screenshots?). I have two +1's here already and no -1's from you
>> guys.
>
> I prefer *not* to do this change in BE. I do not like it. I do not want
> it. It looks bad.

Well yes looks bad in Firefox2, but that is the only system where it looks bad.
I tried most browsers and I was very happy with the looks. Certainly from a
usability perspective. The user is used to that kind of buttons.

One thing that I would like to say is that the HCI team as it is now consists of
some very capable guys and that we know what we are talking about. I would
surely like that HCI gets some authority in the TYPO3 community. We can clearly
make a distinction between some areas where decisions can be made. Isn't it
strange that we need +1 from developers that are not really responsible for the
looks but for the functionality. We can always discuss things on the core list,
but we, as HCI, should certainly have the right to APPROVE an issue as opposed
to VETO an issue what seems quit fashionable these days.

gRTz

ben
--
netcreators :: creation and innovation