[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8503: TCA input with property checkbox can't be removed

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon May 26 15:31:29 CEST 2008

Uschi Renziehausen wrote:
> I do find the Core API disturbing here. What is the purpose of being
> able to clear a normal input field but not, for example, a textarea?

For removing or *adding* dates or limits, which is simple piece of data. Altering large chunks of data is not usually done with such click.

> Also, authors click that checkbox to see what happens. In case they have
> filled in some text it will be deleted. They click the checkbox again,
> but alas, nothing happens.

Well, this what teaching is for: show them how it works. If they sleep and don't pay attention, whose problem is it? ;)

> Then how do you think site developers without php knowledge will find
> out about the unset solution? My way to happiness was this: exploring
> $TCA for pages, then t3lib_tceforms->getSingleField_typeInput(). Only
> then I found my way to the relevant part of the TYPO3 Core API.

Developers without PHP knowledge should not touch the code.

> In the end it should be configurable via Page TSConfig, but i suppose
> that is only feasible for 4.3, right?

I do not see much use for this feature because checkbox is usually in the right place. But yes, we can add an option to remove it. I'd like to know real use cases for it before it is added. We do not add things just because we can...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team