[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8503: TCA input with property checkbox can't be removed

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Mon May 26 13:03:54 CEST 2008

"Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]" <dmitry at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1211731748.5078.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi!
>
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>  it is not possible to override a checkbox setting
>> eg nav_title has a checkbox which doesn't make really sense.
>>
>> So this setting should remove it:
>> $TCA['pages']['columns']['nav_title']['config']['checkbox'] = "";
>
> No, it should not. Read TYPO3 Core API [1]:
> ======================
> If defined (even empty), a checkbox is placed before the input field.
>
> If a value other than the value of 'checkbox' (this value) appears in the
> input-field the checkbox is checked.
> ======================
>
> The following will remove the checkbox for you:
>
> unset($TCA['pages']['columns']['nav_title']['config']['checkbox']);
>
> -1 on the patch because it breaks compatibility and completely disagrees
> with TYPO3 Core API.
>
> [1]
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_api/4.1.0/view/4/2/#id3656141
>
> --

I agree.

Nethertheless i ask myself about the sense of the checkbox. I really see it
with using date, but with some restriction

* checkbox implicits usage of yes/no which is not given in this case
* checkbox delivers a 2nd default value which conflicts with the value of
"default"
* when i edit and click on checkbox with filled field, it clears it.
Clicking again i would expect to bring the saved value again instead of the
predefined

Checkbox with empty value has no real sense because it only clears a field,
clicking again is not possible.

So for the beginning i would suggest to allow overriding with TS, like

TCEFORM.pages.nav_title.config.checkbox >

vg Steffen