[TYPO3-core] SVN maintenance work on Friday (23.05) - Today!

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri May 23 17:10:32 CEST 2008

Hi!

Oliver Hader wrote:
> The branch in TYPO3 4.2 was set at the correct time. But to avoid
> additional work in TYPO3 4.3 we can now have commit-hooks, which put
> every change in the TYPO3_4-3 branch also into Trunk. Of course this is
> applicable only in the beta and RC phase and presumes that we
> concentrate again on bugfixing then.

I do not get the idea. We are not going to use trunk at all for development? That sounds wrong to me. Why do we need trunk in this case? We can just make branches from branches.

In general, development for active version should happen in trunk, not in branch. This is a purpose of trunk.

> Thus, it's the same work-load for us compared to the situation when we
> branch right before the final release. But it offers the possibility to
> use Trunk for new features already then - if it's required for whatever
> reasons.

If there are commit hooks for automatic commits from branch to trunk, some of them will definitely fail. Imagine if I add a new feature to typoLink and someone fixes a bug for typoLink next day. Result: SVN conflict, no bugfix commit.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team