[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8445: Align group fields in TCEforms

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sun May 18 20:10:20 CEST 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> We never did a CGL for CSS, which could be done in future.
> Indeed uppercase for HTML-tags is something outdated, used by Microsoft in
> the past.
>
> Modern style is to use lowercase everywhere, forbid underscore etc.
> But this may be off topic here, thx for testing!

Well, I do not really care what Microsoft did and what is "modern style" as soon as it is not in specification :) HTML specification requires tags to be lower case, so we use lower case according to specification in HTML. CSS is case-insensitive, so I prefer the style, which is more convinient. "TABLE.table-class" looks better to my eyes than "table.table-class" because it clearly shows HTML tag to which class is applied. It helps a lot during development to distinguish classes from tags when scanning the file quickly. At least it helps me.

As to underscores, they are perfectly valid. Here is the spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#value-def-identifier
And I do not really care if anyone wants to forbid them. It is their personal preference and not supported by any specification :)

I am writing it all only to tell that adding extra complexity never helps. In my country people say: "Be simpler and people will come to you" :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team