[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix (part of) #7589: FULLTEXT keys are not processed correctly

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Mar 2 21:14:33 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> That there is no reason to force UTF-8 upon everyone. iso-8859-1 and
>> other charsets are completely valid choices for some installations. The
>> only thing I really would like to go (though it will break installations
>> I know) is the multi-charset feature. That is, you're using eg English
>> (iso-8859-1) and Polish (iso-8859-2) but do not use forceCharset (utf-8).
>
> While I prefer utf-8, I agree with Masi. For some countries there are
> traditional character sets and people do not want to use anything else. We
> should not force them.

That would be a very small difference and simple to solve:
Instead of enforcing UTF8, we would simply enforce that the MySQL charset
(db + client + connection + results) is the same as defined by
forceCharset. Quite simple!

>>> - remove multiplyDBfieldSize from config_default.php (so the feature is
>>>   still available, but it can no longer be set for new installations)
>>
>> Dmitry likes it to stay for some reasons. I forgot exactly why but it
>> has - suprise - something to do with compatibility.
>
> I think it should stay in the code but removed from config_default. Since
> it used elsewhere, each usage has to be checked and 1 is used if value is
> not set.

Exactly what I have proposed.

However, it seems you prefer to discuss those (yet unwritten) details
instead of checking my existing patches. In the end we won't have any of
the DB improvements, thanks to that! :-(

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out