[TYPO3-core] RFC: #2302: substitute all strtoupper/strtolower with the t3lib_div-method

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Fri Jun 27 17:36:28 CEST 2008

"Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]" <dmitry at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1214580630.10130.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi!
>
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> remember the turkish problem - if you apply strtoupper or strtolower to
>> any string containing an "i" method will fail
>>
>> So intention was to use it consequent on any place
>
> This has nothing to do with consistency. You just replaced all occurencies
> without thinking if it is necessary or not.
>
> If strtolower fails when you check for 'true', you already know it is not
> 'true' or 'tRuE' string! There is no need for t3lib_div method in this
> case.
>
> One case when definitely need t3lib_div method call, is in TCEmain when
> evaluations happen for fields. But most checks can live with strtolower.
>
> I appreciate that you take care of this problem but replacement should
> take place when necessary. Be simple.
>
> --
> Dmitry Dulepov
> http://typo3bloke.net/

I agree that there are cases where it's not necessary. Anyway there where
like 500 cases where it's used, so it's not simple to decide where it's not
needed.
Any suggestion how to deal  that? I could restart replacement and split it
"by file" which means also that there will be 30-50 single requests which
doesn't make it more easy.

vg Steffen