[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8515: Speed up tslib_cObj->getTreeList by caching its results

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Tue Jul 15 09:41:51 CEST 2008

Peter Niederlag wrote:

Hi Peter,

>> yes, basically every extension. Even in the scenario you mentioned above
>> it would save 4 queries.
>
> might be, but we still don't know what the price for this is.

Shouldn't be too high - if at all noticeable. I would, however, always
choose FE performance over BE performance.

>>> I am not against it at all but would really like to see a thorough
>>> analysis of the performance-impacts for different situations.
>> Have a look at a corresponding thread in typo3.dev for more numbers:
>> http://support.typo3.org/general/dev/m/re-typo3-dev-sphinx-for-indexed-search-340973/p/226/
>
> I tried to follow it. Is there any facts and figures about the
> (performance-)impact of the additional hook-usage?

Those operations only happen when in backend. As can be seen from the
patch TCEmain is observed so additional code (to what we have now) is
executed with every data operation in the BE. However, the hooks of
course at first check whether they need to do some action - which is
most likely not very often the case.

The cache updating mechanism only needs to run when

* a page is moved
* a page is copied
* a page is deleted
* some few other options are set on the page properties that would
change the treelist. (see patch for detaily)

Ingo

--
Ingo Renner