[TYPO3-core] RFC #8697: Warnings when using MySql 4.0

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Mon Jul 14 11:41:58 CEST 2008

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Hi Masi,
>
>>> Also, can you point out when the warnings occur?
>> The installer tries to do nifty things with the charset/collation. I
>> think Stucki tried some clever things with it. Anyway Mysql 4.0 simply
>> doesn't understand that statement.
>
> Right. And I think it was good that this has lead to a warning - after all
> nothing got broken, it was just an error that reminds you that something is
> wrong with your MySQL version...
>
>> I think that when the function returns an empty array then the installer
>> simply will not add a charset/collation definition to the table. Which
>> is no loss IMHO because the statement only retrieves the default values.
>> So there is little point in it. Or am I missing something, Stucki?
>
> Right. It currently does no harm but as soon as you enable the collation
> support in class.t3lib_install.php (lines 568 and 706) then it will cause
> further problems for sure!
>
> Since this is planned anyways, I strongly suggest to revert this "fix".

Well, it is not enabled (right) in 4.2 so the fix should stay in 4.2.
For 4.3 we should rethink this. I have had only a quick glance at the
code but I wasn't sure what exactlyx you tried to achieve. If no
collation is given then Mysql will choose it's default collation. So why
bother trying to get the settings for the server (which is probably a
built-in unchangeable valuue anyway).

Furthermore we DID NOT require a sepcifi Mysql version so TYPO3 MUST run
without error. I'm unhappy that a half-baked feature that crept makes
now so many troubles.

Masi