[TYPO3-core] RFC #8697: Warnings when using MySql 4.0

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Jul 14 11:21:49 CEST 2008

Hi Masi,

>> Also, can you point out when the warnings occur?
>
> The installer tries to do nifty things with the charset/collation. I
> think Stucki tried some clever things with it. Anyway Mysql 4.0 simply
> doesn't understand that statement.

Right. And I think it was good that this has lead to a warning - after all
nothing got broken, it was just an error that reminds you that something is
wrong with your MySQL version...

> I think that when the function returns an empty array then the installer
> simply will not add a charset/collation definition to the table. Which
> is no loss IMHO because the statement only retrieves the default values.
> So there is little point in it. Or am I missing something, Stucki?

Right. It currently does no harm but as soon as you enable the collation
support in class.t3lib_install.php (lines 568 and 706) then it will cause
further problems for sure!

Since this is planned anyways, I strongly suggest to revert this "fix".

> BTW, DBAL lacks this method in 4.2.x and so DBAL doesn't work at ALL
> thanks to this addition.

That is my fault, I have to admit. I'll try to get DBAL working with the
mysql or mysqli driver, but this needs time. (You could help me and
probably DBAL in general by writing a short howto on using DBAL without
installing an additional DBMS...)

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out