[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8939: Menu sitemap doesn't respect pages field

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Jul 11 00:21:53 CEST 2008

Hi!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Bugtracker references:
>
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8939
>
> Branches: 4.2, trunk
>
> Problem:
> there is something missing in
> tt_content.menu.20.2
>
> All other menu types are copied from default and modified, so they have
> special = list
> special.value.field = pages
>
> Solution:
> Modification is one line:
> instead of 2 = HMENU
> use
> 2 < .default
> and all is done.
>
> Leaving field pages empty shows complete sitemap, so it doesn't break
> backwards compatibility.

I do not think that this solution is correct. I did not test it but here is my thoughts.

Sitemap displays content of the current site, not the whole tree. Imagine the following structure:

Globe
 |-- Page
    |-- Site root  <-- root TS template
       |-- Subpage

Currently sitemap will display every page starting from "Site root" page. Proposed solution will force sitemap to start from the globe level because "pages" field will be empty, which is equivalent to making SQL query with pid=0. This is not correct. This will break site maps in multipage setups.

Even more, the patch from http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=3705 is wrong too. It converts sitemap to "Menu of subpages to these pages", which is a wrong thing to do. Sitemap is sitemap, its starting point is root of the web site. "Menu of subpages to these pages" has starting point and does exactly what #8939 and #3705 do. Both bugs should be discarded as wrong.

So -1 for now.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team