[TYPO3-core] RFC:: Bug 7214: Integrate topMenu in backend.php

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sat Jan 19 23:52:42 CET 2008

Hi Benni,

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Hey Steffen,
>
> thanks for this nice gem so the new backend.php is more
> backwards-compatible. I actually thought Ingo mentioned that the top
> menu is already extendable... dunno.
>
> Anyway: +1 after testing (no code-review yet though, sorry).
>
> Something else that came to my mind... in the user => setup module,
> there is still an option which "backend view" should be displayed
> (Select navigation mode). What should we do with that option? I don't
> think it works with the new backend.php. Also, should we add an option
> to switch back to the old backend?

Implementing the switch back to the old interface as an option sounds
like a good way to me, that way you could also automatically switch back
to the old interface if you selected something like "Icons in the top -
menu". Currently you can only switch back to the old interface using the
install tool (see [2]).

Another possibility which might come in handy for the future would be to
extend that selectorbox so it can be populated by skin-extensions which
would then use different stylesheets for e.g. backend.php [1] based on
the selection in the User->Setup module.

cheers
Ingmar

[1] See patch in "[TYPO3-core] RFC: 7163: Make backend.php the default
backend"

[2] See Ingo's earlier commit from today, "[TYPO3-core] FYI: added a way
to skin the css files in backend.php"

--
Ingmar Schlecht
TYPO3 Association Active Member