[TYPO3-core] SVN closed for now, do not commit!

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Sun Feb 24 22:17:03 CET 2008

Hi,

> I also propose to release 4.3 this year ;-) so
> it wouldn't be that far off.

I hope this is a debate that the core team will have on its next
meeting. I think the current release philosophy and cycle are too
constraining. IMHO there are 2 factors that plead in favor of more
frequent (major) releases:

- ever since the core-team ML was opened to all, activity has picked up
tremendously. A lot of new ideas have been pouring in and it seems
contradictory to hold them all off for over a year.

- the emergence of v5 puts pressure onto the evolution of 4.x. Although
v5 is nowhere near usable for production yet and will certainly not be
for quite some time (no criticism here, that's just my gut feeling), it
is still on the horizon and major work (like the new installer) should
not be put off for a year or more, lest their impact on TYPO3 be pretty
small after all (i.e. a lot of work for little use).

There are several options I can imagine and I'm sure others can come up
with more. They are not mutually exclusive and could be combined:

- accelerated release cycles: this is the obvious one. 6 months is sure
a bit tight, but maybe we could aim for 9 months, which would mean 3
releases over the course of 2 years. It would place 4.3 at Xmas this
year, which seems fair enough.

- major release on demand: a major release could be decided when a major
project (like the new installer; I'm not being obsessive :-) reaches
completion. When the project is near completion a release process would
be started. Whatever feature is ready by then gets in too.

- differentiated feature levels: one drawback of the current policy (if
I'm not mistaken) is that there are only minor release in between major
ones, and minor release are striclty bugfix releases. This means new
features can only get into major release. But there's a big difference
between a major undertaking like the cleaner backend and the
introduction of a new hook or transforming some TS property from a
string to a stdWrap, for example. Either such features should be allowed
into minor releases or maybe we should have an intermediary level of
releases (NMBNME = Not Major But Not Minor Either ;-). One could imagine
having 4.2, then bugfix 4.2.1 and 4.2.2, then 4.2.10 which would mark it
as a minor release but with some new stuff in it.

Food for thought...

Cheers

--

Francois Suter