[TYPO3-core] SVN closed for now, do not commit!

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Fri Feb 22 23:18:40 CET 2008

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> Hi Masi,
>
>> Do we now have a beta3 or not?
>
> depends, I just created that version in the bugtracker for now. So when
> resolving an issue now, set it to fixed in 4.2beta3. If we do not need
> beta3 in the end, the bugtracker offers a way to just rename it .. to
> RC1 in this case.
>
>> How about a change of the whole procedure of "feature freeze". We need
>> to have two deadlines. The first one defines a date after that no new
>> features may be presented on the list. The next one (the real one, eg
>> 2 weeks later) defines a point in time after that no features may be
>> commited to SVN.
>>
>> This will solve the "feature rush" close to a feature freeze.
>
> will it really or will it just move it to some later point?

No it won't move it to alter point. Suppose you as RM want to have a
release as late as the 1st of March. So you set, to allow a bit of
flexibility the date for end of feature proposals for the 1st of
February and the feature freeze for 14th of February. Now you have
roughly one week for each dates open for emergency actions. Or you can
release "early" if everybody is in time, so you can even have a release
right after the proposed feature freeze date: 15th of February.

>> And it will save me from being disappointed when a patch doesn't get
>> even one review. I thought that maybe Stucki, who had proposed the
>> original patch, would have a glance at my proy patch.
>
> well, it's still in discussion, isn't it? And after all did you ask me
> whether it could still go into 4.2?

No, I didn't. I'm whining already, do I have to beg also ;-)

>> PS: Why is 4.2 a branch in SVN before RC1 is out? I remmeber the same
>> fuss for 4.1 and thought we delayed the branching part.
>
> because it's the right way. Actually tunk should be open in parallel so
> that 4.3 development basically could start with 4.2 beta. As we do not
> have enough man power though and for the convinience to cmmit to only
> one branch we just closed the trunk for the time being.

I don't see the point. If we cannot work in parallel why bother?

Masi