[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #7598: Fix module menu alignment and hover in Internet Explorer

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Feb 20 23:18:21 CET 2008

This is a SVN patch request.

Branches: 4.2

Bugtracker Reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=xxxx

Problem:
In Internet Explorer, labels in the module menu are not horiztonally
aligned the same as in other browsers due to a collapsing span on the
menu icons. Also, Internet Explorer 6 does not support the hover
attribute on list elements.

Solution:
To fix this, I've changed the icon span to float left which allows IE
and other browsers to give them a consistent width (regardless of icon
size) and preserves the label alignment in all browsers. For the hover,
I've used a CSS selector within prototype to add and remove a hover
class on mouseenter and mouseleave. These events are only available in
IE, but thats fine since IE is our target.

Notes:
This is a subtle change so you have to know what you're looking for, but
I think it adds some extra polish.  You'll be looking for the horizontal
aligment of label text in the module menu.  Before the patch, there
should be consistent spacing between labels and the menu but the labels
will not line up.  After the patch, the labels will all line up
horizontally.

Thanks,
Jeff