[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7573: Page properties: Make author and author_email visible instantly

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Feb 19 22:23:27 CET 2008

Hi Ingo!

I am really not sure if we should continue here... I would be happy to meet you and others and talk. Mails are very impresonal and do not show what emotions we feel...

Ingo Renner wrote:
> again: we need to start somewhere. also removing them isn't such a big
> deal with the templatable docheaders. However I also do not consider
> this a bad thing (in terms of critical)

This is because you are programmer :) You think like a programmer, not like a user. This is why we (programmers) should not design interfaces :) I do not want to say I am better than you in it, may be I am even worse. I am programmer too. I just very interested in HCI topic since year 2000.

> IMO we solved the long forms issue quite good, I also think that 4 tabs
> aren't many (depending on you editors permissions probably even less
> than four). The way how the fields are grouped by the tabs IMO also
> makes sense - of course there will always be fields where it might be
> debatable to which tab the belong best.

You again look at it as programmer :) You are not talking about presenting fields as they should be presented for fulfilling a specific function in most efficient way, you talk about bad or good grouping of fields. Feel the difference? :) The first thing anyone should have asked himself when designing page-related things: how it would be most efficient to do these tasks:
- create a new page (may be with content)
- change page attributes later

We have no tool for it. Robert attempted to built such tool inside TV but it is also incomplete :(

This is what makes interface: thinking about functions, not about grouping fields on the web page named "Page properties". Interface will never be human oriented unless the designer thinks in terms of user's needs. This is why I am so keen about Jens slides. They are just perfect from that view: they are focused on functions.

> I also agree with Uschi that humans tend to be unwilling to learn new
> things sometimes or to be skeptic about them. However they will most
> likely also get used to the new stuff and in the end will see their
> advantages.

Well, almost everyone can learn to use manual transmission in the car. But why do it if you can choose automatic transmission? :) More and more people choose automatic but we just change manual transmission handle shape. We do not offer automatic...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team