[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7573: Page properties: Make author and author_email visible instantly

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Tue Feb 19 18:14:28 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

Hi,

> Ingo Renner wrote:

>> I agree with you in this point as I've noticed that, too. However
>> they're not new but just more prominent now that the docheader drwas
>> attention to them.
>
> So that has to be fixed before developing docheaders. You see, these
> things went into docheaders, so time was spent on integrating them
> instead. Next someone will spend time removing them. Does this sound as
> a right development cycle to you? Couldn't this be done more
> efficiently?

again: we need to start somewhere. also removing them isn't such a big
deal with the templatable docheaders. However I also do not consider
this a bad thing (in terms of critical)

>> I think we should remove them (maybe even before beta2) and leave only
>> one way to switch modules -  the module menu. Another advantage that
>> comes with that is deduced code once we get around and remove(!) the
>> according parts that generate these buttons and usually also check for
>> access rights before adding these buttons...
>
> You mean - remove all these extra buttons or all doc headers? Docheaders
> as such is a great idea, they just need to be clearly thought for each
> module.

no, just the redundant buttons - that would really clean up some stuff

>>> And convenience, I am sorry, is not there.
>>
>> Not true, just some overload!
>
> What about typical task for editors? Csn they be done quickly by
> editors? Like creating a simple page? This is what people contantly ask.
> They mus be able to *focus* on the task, not on finding fields in many
> tabs. Long forms are bad but many tabs are bad too: more work to find
> fields...

IMO we solved the long forms issue quite good, I also think that 4 tabs
aren't many (depending on you editors permissions probably even less
than four). The way how the fields are grouped by the tabs IMO also
makes sense - of course there will always be fields where it might be
debatable to which tab the belong best.

I also agree with Uschi that humans tend to be unwilling to learn new
things sometimes or to be skeptic about them. However they will most
likely also get used to the new stuff and in the end will see their
advantages.

> Ok, but how it happened that we still have redundant functions with all
> supervision?

because we're not perfect and keep on learning - simple like that, we
need to get feedback on what we do to know whether it is good what we do.

all the best
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner