[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7573: Page properties: Make author and author_email visible instantly

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Mon Feb 18 16:14:49 CET 2008

"Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]" <dmitry at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1203346995.22588.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> (CCying also to Michael and Jens because I would like to see their replies
> in the list!)
>
> Steffen,
>
> I understand your wish to make TYPO3 better. It is good and fun but we
> must limit or fantasy sometimes. When it comes to real people, who must
> work with the system, they become frustrated by all these nice new
> technical things. They need to work with the system, not enjoy technically
> new things! They need clean and clear interface with minimum field set
> suitable for their work. Everyone prefers simpler tools that helps to
> fulfil the task. Making things just because you can make them is good in
> high school but not in a system used by real life people. Please, limit
> your fantasy a bit!
>
> People, should we be more realistic? It looks to me like recently TYPO3
> goes wrong way: it wants to be shiny like a candy but it is sometimes too
> shiny to work with it efficiently. Docheaders in bad places, cannot clear
> cache in MSIE, etc. This is what we should concentrate on! Not on adding
> new rarely used fields in BE! We have lots of bugs, whu not to turn your
> energy there instead of adding author, coauthor, cocoauthor and
> birthday-of-my-dog to BE?
>
> I really liked Jens original ideas and I am not sure if current BE passed
> his supervision. But I hear from real life editors that new BE much less
> convenient from them. I got all negative responses from people whom I
> installed 4.2. This starts worrying me a lot.
>
> Sorry, do not want to offend anyone. It just looks that it is time to see
> if we are on the right track with all these changes. They are technically
> great but they make usage  harder.

Hi Dmitry,

thats the reason i talk a lot to Uschi Renzhausen because she makes a lot of
praxis training with real people, and she looks to it from their side and
not from devolper.

And if she asks for this eg which is really needed in praxis i believe it,
because the editors should feel comfortable.

I also like the slides from Jens and will work on this with Jens to get it
better styled, but this will be for 4.3 because the time was too short for
4.2. We have settled a meeting with Jens, Ben, Patrick and Benni where this
HCI-thoughts will be respected and we will see if it will be more
userfriendly.

So 4.2 is just a step on that way, though it's not optimal at all. but i
think it's much more clean than old backend was.
Also everyone can work with old backend if wanted.

Also bringing this all in 4.2 is a good chance to get feedback from the user
testing it, and if something isn't good for most people we are free to
change it.

vg  Steffen