[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7370: Remove page doktype 5 (not in menu) and merge Normal with Advanced

Oliver Hader oh at inpublica.de
Tue Feb 5 16:07:02 CET 2008

Hi,

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Oliver Hader wrote:
>> That this feature can go into the core isn't subject of the discussion
>> anymore. The crux of matter is the moment when it shall be committed.
>
> I fully agree!
>
> I see several major points:
> - existing pages with doktype=(2|5) <== RESOLVED by Steffen with upgrade
> script
> - TS that uses doktype <== RARE thing, instructions can go to NEWS.txt
> - resource leak in latest patch <== TRIVIAL
> - extension that use doktype=(2|5) <== NEED TO SOLVE ("die('No such
> doktype')"???)
>
> If that last two points are solved, I am quite ok with committing. But
> we have to maek this commit and entry in news.txt with "!!!" of course.

I attached an overworked version of Steffen's last patch (version 3).

I've integrated the following changes:
* added version string '4.1' to be set as compat_version in update wizard
* fixed SQL resource leaks in update scripts and changed return types
from integer to boolean
* fixed two bugs in indexed_search

Additionally I went through the core and searched again for possible
candidates concerning doktype=2|5 and nav_hide. I've marked these places
with the following tag:
"// @TODO: RFC #7370: doktype 2&5 are deprecated since TYPO3 4.2-beta1"

These places are not critical at the moment and will still work with the
behaviour before this RFC. But they will lead us to some places we have
to check again before the release of TYPO3 4.2.0. Also in the next
versions (TYPO3 4.3, TYPO3 4.4, etc.) we should take care of a "real"
removal of the deprecated functionality.

Concerning the extensions which use API calls or TypoScript with
doktype=2|5, there are not many possibilities to catch. Rewriting many
extMgm classes and TSparser classes would enable to have warnings about
that. But is it really required to blow up these classes by checks for
deprecated stuff?

I think, clarification in the release notes, NEWS.txt and announcements
in developer resources should be enough to inform developers about. Of
course this should happen soon (now!).

olly
--
Oliver Hader