[TYPO3-core] RFC Feature #7336: Improve usability of Constants Editor

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Feb 1 16:37:26 CET 2008

Hi Jeff,

>> Problem:
>> The current Constants Editor requires clicking on a checkbox and
>> reloading the entire editing form in order to edit a single constant.
>>
>> Solution:
>> This can be improved by using Javascript to make the editing more dynamic.

Thanks for that brilliant improvement. +1 after testing, although I
didn't read all the code.

> I would like to change trashcan icon because action is not delete, it's
> reset. I don't know if we have an icon for. may be redo icon is something
> for.

I agree with Steffen that the trash can is not a good idea in terms of
usability. Also while we're at improving the constants editor why not
try to add a visual clue that the changes were not yet saved? This can
already lead to errors in the current situation and I tend to think that
your improvement actually risks making the situation worse, because it
makes it seem like clicking on the pencil is enough to change a value.

Maybe we could highlight the whole field on onchange (or onclick for the
checkboxes)? Or have a save icon appear next to the field if it were
possible to also save individual fields?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter