[TYPO3-core] FYI72: #9947: gzip compression does not work in BE at all

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Dec 15 20:45:21 CET 2008

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> I meant that you could have used a handler for class.gzip_encode.php.
>
> The current usage is dull. Why do I have to call gzip_encode() manually
> if I could have provided a callback for ob_start() instead?

I doubt we need to use PHP class when there is a native method for the same purpose. Native method will be faster than interpreted method anyway. Plus we will use a method, which is supported and maintained by PHP. Currently we use a very old class, which is neither supported by anyone, nor we truly know if it works correctly and effectively. I plan to make a patch for FE to use PHP built–in handler too and then yet another patch to get rid of class.gzip_encode.php completely. This class was necessary in "dark ages" when output handler was not available in PHP. Now we can simplify our code and get less classes to distribute and maintain :)

What do you think?

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team