[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9863: [Feature] Adding sysext tsbrowser

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:22:04 CET 2008

Hi!

Uschi Renziehausen wrote:
> When dealing with templates I have missed this feature more than once
> with the following thought in my brain: "Why does it exist for TSConfig
> and not for templates?" I had a feeling of inconsistency here, and if I
> have that, others might have it as well.

TSConfig exists as sysext due to historical reasons. But it does not
mean that every other extension should be come a sysext now. If you
miss it so much, surely you will be able to install it from TER. I
see no need to ship everything with core.

> Apart from that it will make everybody's life with TypoScript less error
> prone. No more mistyping of deep object paths, clear and quick
> information of what the result of all those overrides.

You can do it from TS object browser right now.

> So in my eyes, it always was a missing *core* feature.

Well, I see RealURL and TemplaVoila as a missing core feature but
there are many people, who disagree with me and I understand why. I
would not propose these two exts as sysexts. They are cool but not
everyone needs them. So they should be in TER. It is like with
translation: if needed, you can get them from TER easily. But if I
do not need Chinese, why should I have it in my installation? And it
is a right way: the less you have, the faster the system. In fact,
we talked about removing some sysexts once to make core lighter (but
it ended with nothing unfortunately).

Sysexts are exts that are necessary or used by everyone, not just
something cool.

For example, t3editor should not be a sysext either. Strictly
speaking it is not necessary. OpenID was made a sysext because we
agreed on it (I do not remember why) but it could be as well a TER
extension. The less comes with core, the better.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 translations support