[TYPO3-core] RFC #8232: Creating and editing of fields, forms, etc. in FCE's is impossible if there is a section inside

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sat Aug 16 00:38:07 CEST 2008

Hi!

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> the current code of the TCEforms rewrite is in our list module SVN,
> completely open and public to anyone [1]. I'm pretty sure that it was
> announced somewhere. Should I write on every bug I find in the BT and
> the core list that I might do some work on that part so others don't
> work on that at the same time? If so, we really gotta do A LOT (!) more
> communication in the community and the team.

Such communication happens daily in the "dev" list with other people. Look at Steffen's post. Look how Ingo made announcements about his BE project in 4.2 times.

Rewrite of TCEforms was not announced. I hope Andreas have enough knowledge to rewrite TCEforms. If there are flaws in implementation, it will not pass through the core team and someone will be pissed off again. This is my main concern. If you feel Andreas is an expert in TCEforms/flexforms (including localization issues), let it be so. But if I were you (or Andreas), I would make a technical design and ask for reviews first. It is too easy to overlook many things. He could get help, for example, from me (but not now because Hackontest is approaching).

> Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
>>> If you refuse to redo the patch (which will not be difficult, I will
>>> assure you), then I'll do that once Andreas' changes are coming.
>>
>> Yes, I refuse to rewrite it. I already did it. So if my work is lost,
>> I am not to repeat it.
> That's right. Quoting yourself "we are a team". That's why I will help
> you and want to do that, why are you so stubborn against people that
> offer help to you? Man, what do you think I was doing with that reply to
> your RFC? Making you upset and angry? That was NOT the purpose of my

Sorry, you can't not help me with this patch :( The reason is simple: I do not want to touch this patch again. I simply do not want. This is not due to new TCEforms. I already spent 14 hours on this code (two sleepless nights) and I think it is more than enough. This patch is finished for me. No more work on it.

You are free to work on it, of course. But for me it is finished. I proposed the solution to a major problem. If it is accepted, we will have the bug fixed. If it is not accepted, so be it.

> email, and if you don't get that I'm sorry for you. I gotta say, every
> time somebody does some work (Andreas) or offers to help (me, rewriting
> your patch), there is this attitude of some people disliking it, instead
> of welcoming the participation and development. I am truly PISSED (well,
> you hardly see this kind of word coming from me!) about that attitude.

Hmmm... Do you forget that you are not the only one who works for TYPO3? Many people contribute and their contribution is accepted with great welcome. At the same time other proposals from the same people are rejected. Look in this list if you forgot. When people disagree with you, it is not a reason to tell them about bad attitude and that you are pissed off. Different opinions are also a part of team work. If me, you or Stucki do something, it does mean automatic acceptance by others. I understand that people can become disappointed. I often do. Many of my patches were too radical for TYPO3. But we have to respect decisions of others even if we do not like them. Otherwise we would end up accepting every change and we will get faulty product.

> I share your feelings about making public announcements of current work,
> in case you did not notice, I try to do so (see simulatestatic, extjs or
> mass uploaderm). However, I think what we're doing with the TCEforms is
> NOT part of that problem.

Rewriting TCEforms is risky because it is complex. It may end up in an incomplete or faulty implementation. If you take the risk - fine. simulateStatic is nothing compared to TCEforms. All your three mentioned things are nothing compared to TCEforms. TCEforms and TCEmain are two most complex pieces of code in TYPO3. They should be handled with great care.

(Writing and rewriting of this reply took over 1h. I tried to be polite and calm as much as possible.)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team