[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8153: [left frame-width] left frame too small for german users

Christian Hennecke christian.hennecke at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 22 14:44:40 CEST 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:38:43 UTC, "Steffen Kamper" <steffen at sk-typo3.de>
wrote:

> Type: Bugfix
>
> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8153
>
> Branches: 4.2
>
> Problem:
> Menu width is hardcoded in CSS and doesn't fit in languages with longer
> labels, as reported in german and russian, may be more languages.
>
> There was a possibility to define the width before with
> $TBE_STYLES['dims']['leftMenuFrameW']
> I reintroduced this value, so a skin ext has the possibility to vary, also
> this can be defined in extTables.php for individual setting.

I would like to second this. Losing the flexibility makes things a lot
harder for translators. Plus the scrollbars that appear when one item is
only slightly too long can have an impact on readability of items that
are only slighty shorter than the maximum width.
--
"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden