[TYPO3-core] FYI: Icon for new_file.gif

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Apr 16 14:51:43 CEST 2008

Hi!

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> I tried merging all icons from Jens to our existing icon scheme in
> t3skin. It did not work. Why? Because we use PNGs, GIFs, use of the same
> icon for different purposes etc. It is a complete mess.

Yes, I know :( I had the idea that iconWorks should actually look what icon is available in the current skin. If code asks for new.gif and it finds that there is no new.gif, it should look also for new.png. But that was a "long time ago" idea.

I know that t3skin is a big mess :(

> Then we have places where the icon size is hardcoded (and of course if
> it's a PNG or a GIF etc), not cool at all.
> Then we have icons in extensions (even sysext), do the ext managers need
> to care about the different skins or do the different skins need to
> provide icons for all extensions out there they want to support?

I think exts should reuse as many standard icons as they can. May be we should copy some famfamfam icons to the core for general use?

> As you can see, horrible. As many noticed already, we really need a good
> skinning API for 4.3 (It's not just about icons) and I would appreciate
> if we could collect our ideas in the HCI list about what sucks right now
> (like I did in the previous paragraphs) in skinning terms, and then for 4.3
> - set up a new branch for developing the new skinning API

+1!

> - making a good default skin so that we can get rid of oldskin (and the
> messy t3skin version we have right now)

+1!

> - use more templating in the BE

+1!

Btw, I tried once but marker approach is not very suitable for dynamic BE. I looked to Smarty, it is more flexible but outside of our typical use of templates.

> But, once we have done this, I little man in my head tells me that once
> there is the RFC in the list "it's way too much code to review for me,
> please split it in smaller parts" and that it's not backwards-compatible
> and shouldn't go in the Core at all. So looks like adding all changes
> UI-wise at once is just a big dream of mine as well.

If it is in separate branch, it would be easier to work with. And we can plan and organize review session at one of TYPO3 events for these changes. Next we can do your FYI24 indicating how many people reviewed and gave +1s. Does it look like a solution?

I am often very sorry that I am too far from you all. Otherwise we could just sit all together and make joined review of the code.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team