[TYPO3-core] RFC: #6896: TCA eval on TEXT field does not work

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Apr 4 19:02:54 CEST 2008

Hi Ingo!

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Your are a little nit picker!

No. I only follow our rules.

> I agree that we set up some rules, however exceptions must be allowed
> too. It is no fun always criticizing for each and every thing they do.
> Please think about how you respond to people and how they might feel.
> Open Source and the TYPO3 project are still about fun in programming -
> constant nit picking disturbs that fun.

I am sorry Ingo but why our rules apply only to some people? Either we have feature freeze or not. This is RC stage if you forgot. We must have stopped new features after beta stage already! Check release workflow if you forgot:
http://typo3.org/teams/core/resources/release-workflow/

Here is what said there:
===================
Starting with the first release candidate, the release maintainer (version independent) becomes accountable for this release. *He will assure that no further features will be added* but all important bugs will be fixed. He will probably still depend on the help and know-how of the development team.

> This bugfix was part of yesterday's bug auction at T3BOARD which was
> lots of fun. I herewith make an exception and give a greencard for this
> fix.

You have no rights to give green light to new features at this stage! Read Release Workflow!

It is not a question of how fun was it. This is not a bug fix, this is a new feature. And this commit violates our rules: no new features at RC stage. It is bad that you give a green card to a new feature at RC stage. There must be a stop at some point but I afraid I do not see the power or force to make that stop ever happen. I understand your wish to get many cool things into release managed by you. But if you continue this way, your green cards will never end and you will give another green card 5 min before the final release. You must stop at some point if you do not want to crash this release. Many projects failed because their managers were unable to stop at the right time. Don't fall into the trap!

While you are release manager and I am just a small member of core team, I have to disagree with this decision. While this particular feature is very good, useful and convenient, the time is not good to allow new features. You must understand that as release manager.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team