[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix Bug 6428 - strtoupper doesn't work with turkish i

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun Oct 28 21:53:31 CET 2007

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Hi Masi,
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>>> you shouldn't use non ASCII in markers (or other places) anyways if
>>> it's not supported.
>
>> Anyway, the problem is that in Turkish the upper case form of i (small
>> I with dot) is NOT I (upper case I without dot), it's İ (upper case I
>> with dot). OTHO the lower case form of I (upper case I without dot) is
>> ı (small case I withot dot).
>
> Well to me it seems that Steffen - or who ever found that issue -  used
> the markers in lowercase in the templates (###some_marker_with_i###)
> which then gets transformed (strtoupper) to the wrong character.
> In fact I guess this could be solved by simply using the markers in the
> right way (###SOME_MARKER_WITH_I###). The uppercase I is already
> uppercase and thus I suspect it won't change.
>
> If that is the case I don't see why we should support that lazyness and
> spent time on it.

Please have a look at the templating classing of TYPO3 which explicitly
allow this laziness. I don't think that this kind of stuff was
necessary, but we have to deal with it right now.

> The other thing is that I consider it a bug in php if the transformation
> goes wrong, which again wouldn't be our task to fix it and maybe get a
> new problem when php gets fixed and breaks our "fix"...

I think you don't understand. strtoupper does extactly what it should
do, that is to make a LOCALE DEPENDENT transformation. What we see here
is an ignorance in part of the TYPO3 programmers. We don't need to fix
strtoupper, but we need to fix our misguided attempts to use it wrongly.

Masi