[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix Bug 6428 - strtoupper doesn't work with turkish i

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Sun Oct 28 21:49:08 CET 2007

"Ingo Renner" <ingo at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1193602548.8463.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi Masi,
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>>> you shouldn't use non ASCII in markers (or other places) anyways if it's
>>> not supported.
>
>> Anyway, the problem is that in Turkish the upper case form of i (small I
>> with dot) is NOT I (upper case I without dot), it's I (upper case I with
>> dot). OTHO the lower case form of I (upper case I without dot) is i
>> (small case I withot dot).
>
> Well to me it seems that Steffen - or who ever found that issue -  used
> the markers in lowercase in the templates (###some_marker_with_i###) which
> then gets transformed (strtoupper) to the wrong character.
> In fact I guess this could be solved by simply using the markers in the
> right way (###SOME_MARKER_WITH_I###). The uppercase I is already uppercase
> and thus I suspect it won't change.

Ingo - in the template of indexed_search the markers are uppercase, in the
pi-class all is handled with lowercase and transformed to uppercase.
This is the reason why it doesn't work, please look in the diff to see the
changes.

> If that is the case I don't see why we should support that lazyness and
> spent time on it.
>
> The other thing is that I consider it a bug in php if the transformation
> goes wrong, which again wouldn't be our task to fix it and maybe get a new
> problem when php gets fixed and breaks our "fix"...

and prevent turkish (and armenian) sites to work proper until php6?

vg  Steffen