[TYPO3-core] RFC: initial cleaner backend

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri Oct 26 17:41:22 CEST 2007

Hey Ingo,

Great work!

Just for everyone's information: We will continue to ship the whole old
alt_main.php backend structure for people who prefer it, but if
everything works well, the new one with the cleaned-up HTML markup will
be default.

And a note to all who are testing it: Just navigate to typo3/backend.php
using your browser's address bar to reach the new backend.

Ingo Renner wrote:
> What still needs to be done?
> * Folding is not yet implemented, as the rendering of sub modules is in
> a separate method this can be done via AJAX

I'm not even sure we need folding. When the clear-cache and logout
buttons are in the top frame, there will be more space for the module menu.

> * cache clearing functions need to be called through AJAX to not reload
> the whole backend

Yep. Also I would like to have an AJAX status display like a spinning
wheel or a loading-bar somewhere. I will send an RFC implementing it.

> * The menu does not have styles yet

OK, who could do that, any volunteers?

> * the menu items will need more wrapper divs/spans for styling

Are you sure? I was just going to suggest even getting rid of the <b>
tags around the items?

> * we need an option to choose this backend as default instead of the one
> we have now

Or better: Make the new one default and enable a way to choose the old
backend instead. At least for the Alpha2 we can enable the new backend
by default so more people test it.

> * the top iframe needs to die, too as we need its space for workspace
> selector, shortcuts, logout cache actions logout and so on (this is also
> why these things aren't in yet)

Are there any dependencies on the top frame or can we just get rid of it?

> Consider this request as a commit early, commit often patch.

As the patch only adds new stuff and doesn't change any of what's
currently there, you have my +1 even at this state. I'm sure this will
be a nice thing for Alpha 2.

cheers
Ingmar

--