[TYPO3-core] IRRE implementation bugs

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Oct 16 09:17:08 CEST 2007

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> I'm curious about Ollis and Dmitrys comments on this.

Well, there is a document about workspaces (a part of core api now) but it mostly technical. The whole concept is unclear and not really explained in the document. Document focuses on technical details, not on the concept.

I found that most people think that workspaces work differently and for different purpose than they really are. This is the most suprising, unusual and unpleasant.

Most people see workspaces as a kind of SVN system. Like you can do changes and commit, or you can do several branches and work on them, replacing active web site with one of working branches and keeping past versions of web site (or pages) in other workspaces. To some small extent it is true but only to some. Workspaces is definitely not a versioning system like people think. It is a way to edit web site offline. That's all. Or at least I understand it like this but it was proved that often I am wrong on workspace concepts, so I can be wrong even on this :) Kasper wrote me once that workspaces is not right way to keep history of web site. This is the only thing with workspaces that I am sure about now :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Web: http://typo3bloke.net/