[TYPO3-core] IRRE implementation bugs

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Oct 16 08:59:53 CEST 2007

Hi Kasper!

Firsts, thanks for fixing this!

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Attention Dmitry and Oliver Hader!
> (And Dmitry, I'm going to expose some mistakes you have made, I don't
> intend that to offend you, so please don't be ;-)

I am not offended. But someone had to do it, so I did. No one else really cared, so I took that risk. Quite probable that I did mistakes there because these two areas (IRRE & workspaces) are very complex and it is not possible to see all consequences of even small changes. I am quite sure that if you revert my changes, there will be consequences too (bits on this are after the second quotaion).

I learned the lesson and I think I should stay away from these areas because they are to risky. Please, read and understand my view. I do not feel comfortable making fixes there any more. May be you should do more about workspaces and Olly  about IRRE. This way it will be safer for typo3. What do you think?

Again. I am not offended or anything, I just think it would be the best for typo3 in general if I keep away from workspaces completely. My changes were always intended for the best but it appears that we see the concept differently most of the time. The concept must stay as you defined it, no doubt about that. But I afraid of violating it again due to the lack of knowledge. So I would better stay away. I really care about typo3! It become part of my life already, so you understand :)

> As soon as I made a change in the workspace a new version was made of
> course BUT the Data Structure and Template Object selectors reported
> "Invalid value" and didn't list my DS and TO's. Why? Well, because
> Dmitry made a conceptually faulty change in revision 2319. This change
> is attached as a patch file and I intend to revert this unless someone
> can argue against it.

I do not remember exact reasons why it was made but this was made because something else failed severily with workspaces&IRRE combination. It was made after tests on a known customer and I think it may break their installation again. I think IRRE links were broken in versioned records but I may be mistaken. Unfortunately I do not remember more details :(

Anyway, many thanks that you take care about it. This is good for typo3 in general and for me in particular because I learn too :) Thanks and thanks again!

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Web: http://typo3bloke.net/