[TYPO3-core] RFC: IRRE Localization

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Fri Oct 5 22:30:16 CEST 2007

Ingo Renner wrote:

>> 1. The table which contains the IRRE records must be localizeable
>
> sure.
>
>> 2. The same as above (1.) has to be done for the IRRE records
>> themselves.
>
> are you talking of IRRE parent records?

Means: IRRE parent and child records must be localizable.

>> 3. There is an new option "languageMode" introduced for the "inline"
>> configuration inside TCA.
>
> isn't there something like that already or at least with some similar name?

Not that I know of ...

There is something like that

(langDisable, langChildren for Flexforms)

>> One customer wants to have a 1:1 translation of every orig-language
>> record. Another customer wants to have the option to have more
>> sub-records in one language than in another.
>
> sure, it wouldn't be TYPO3 if there wasn't a way to configure it ;-)
>
>> Only headache comes to my head when I think more about the "inherit"
>> mode. Currently in this mode for every record which has no translated
>> record existing a translation is created and linked to the original
>> record via l18n_parent.
>
> sounds perfectly fine - unless they stay untranslated of course but
> that's the problem of the editor then...

ok. if it's fine for you. I tought about showing the original-langauge
record - but somehow "read-only" ...
And allowing the editor to press a "translate" button for every record.

Then it would be easy to have a feature like "hideNonTranslated" in the
FE. Currently this is hard to implement as every orignal language record
gets translated (so there are no non-translated)

>> It probably would be better to have "no" translation of the original
>> records in the beginning (and just show them as read-only for example)
>> but give the user the opportunity (a button) to create a translation of
>> such an original-language record in the translated container (Like in
>> the "Page" View of an alternate language when 1:1 language binding is
>> choosen).
>
> If it's possible I'd vote for staying as close to known concepts as
> possible = re sampling the way the page module works in this case...

This would be the way described in the paragraph above.

In the current page module you have a button "create translation" for
every original-language record. But they do not get localized by default
(like it is in my current patch implementation)

>> This would probably be the better solution
>
> That's what my impression is, too.

Fine. So I will have to talk with Oliver if he can implement such a
feature (showing the original language records "read-only") I could do
this myself - but I guess it would take me longer.

If I can't talk to Oliver till next weekend I will do the patch myself
during the next weekend. I hope thats soon enough for 4.2 alpha ...

> P.S: to me that sounds like another killer feature for 4.2, let's move!

Let's move :) That reminds me of the good old game "sokoban" where you
had to move around boxes and take care that no box got into a corner
from which it couldn't get moved out :)

http://www.janko.at/Spiele/Sokoban/

greets,
Bernhard