[TYPO3-core] RFC: IRRE Localization

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Fri Oct 5 22:04:50 CEST 2007

Bernhard Kraft wrote:

> 1. The table which contains the IRRE records must be localizeable

sure.

> 2. The same as above (1.) has to be done for the IRRE records
> themselves.

are you talking of IRRE parent records?

> 3. There is an new option "languageMode" introduced for the "inline"
> configuration inside TCA.

isn't there something like that already or at least with some similar name?

> One customer wants to have a 1:1 translation of every orig-language
> record. Another customer wants to have the option to have more
> sub-records in one language than in another.

sure, it wouldn't be TYPO3 if there wasn't a way to configure it ;-)

> Only headache comes to my head when I think more about the "inherit"
> mode. Currently in this mode for every record which has no translated
> record existing a translation is created and linked to the original
> record via l18n_parent.

sounds perfectly fine - unless they stay untranslated of course but
that's the problem of the editor then...

> It probably would be better to have "no" translation of the original
> records in the beginning (and just show them as read-only for example)
> but give the user the opportunity (a button) to create a translation of
> such an original-language record in the translated container (Like in
> the "Page" View of an alternate language when 1:1 language binding is
> choosen).

If it's possible I'd vote for staying as close to known concepts as
possible = re sampling the way the page module works in this case...

> This would probably be the better solution

That's what my impression is, too.

> So please feel free to comment and test the patch ....

Could you also provide a small test extension, please?

all the best
Ingo

P.S: to me that sounds like another killer feature for 4.2, let's move!