[TYPO3-core] FYI: added clear cache actions menu to backend.php

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Thu Nov 29 09:57:44 CET 2007

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:

> On IE6 the position seems to be "broken". See
> http://www.typo3-anbieter.de/bug-clearcache.gif

a bare trunk installation? could you reproduce that on another
installation?
@all: anybody else having that problem?

> First there is the question of the importance of that "cache clearing"
> method. Is it something to put in such a prominent place. "Clearing the
> cache" in my eyes is a last resort when something is broken. The TYPO3
> system should take care of that automatically, and having that feature
> for an admin is only there because of their lazyness to configure TYPO3
> and write good extensions properly. Not one of my customers know the
> difference between a "FE-Cache", "Page Cache" and "Cache in typo3conf/".
> Even experienced TYPO3 extension developers don't know it. The usually
> just click on both "clear cache" buttons one after the other "just in case".

IMO that's a different story

> Second: I find the usability of the suggested dropdown menus bad. We now
> need "two clicks", but that would be ok in my eyes. But the left aligned
> yellow arrow is in contradiction with the right aligned menu items,
> making them hard to hit (you cannot select the menu, move mouse "down"
> and click again. You have to move LEFT too
>
> So if we need that feature, I would:
>
> a) make it configurable to have it there (maybe it is already, haven't
> look at the code)

you're free to make a patch =)

> b) make the "flash" button just "do" all clearnings (all + typo3conf),
> because it won't hurt to recreate the temp* files again. We don't need
> the drop-down menu with choices.

no because: imagine clearing all caches (rendering + realurl, chashes
and what not)  on typo3.org or any other large scale site. That's also
the reason for the different colors: red = do not press the red button!,
green = won't hurt

HTH
Ingo

--